A very pink cake for my little niece’s 10th Birthday! She’s all into unicorns and pink fantasies so I had to make it this color…
I took my favorite sponge cake recipe and inserted between the two layers a thick frosting of whipped cream and white chocolate. The chocolate adding extra flavor and hold to the cream. But still as I wanted a fruity note to this special cake, I made the icing with strawberry juice as we all know it’s a perfect match to any chocolate! So dark chocolate, white chocolate, whipped cream and strawberry combined in one cake. Sounds good, doesn’t it? And the big plus is that it’s all pink tinted and you can have fun with the decoration as I did for my niece.
Chocolate sponge cake:
- 7 eggs
- 210 g sugar (optional: include a pack of vanilla sugar)
- 262 g butter
- 337 g chocolate, 55% cocoa
- 3/4 teaspoon instant espresso coffee
- 150 g Almond flour or gluten free flour + 3 tablespoons gluten-free flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Whipped cream and white chocolate filling:
- 100 gr white chocolate
- 400 ml cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 5-6 drops pink colorant (optional)
Strawberry and white chocolate glaze:
- 300 g powdered sugar
- 100 gr white chocolate
- 3-4 tablespoons strawberry juice
- Preheat oven to 350º F (180 ºC). Prepare one or two 26 cm cake pans (8 inches) and line with parchment paper or grease it very well. You can either divide the batter into two cake pans (easiest) or make only one, that you will cut in half.
- Melt chocolate, butter and espresso powder, and set aside. Beat eggs for about 5 minutes, until doubled in volume, then add the sugar and beat for one more minute. Add cooled chocolate cream and mix well. Fold in the flour and salt. Pour the mixture into the prepared tins. The batter will be very runny.
- Bake in the oven for about 15-20 minutes, or until a fork inserted in the middle comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached. Leave to cool in the tin then invert the first layer into a rack. While the cake is in the oven, place the cream and a metal bowl in the freezer.
- Melt 100 gr of white chocolate with a third of the cream and the drops of red colorant in the microwave for 30 seconds until smooth. In the meantime beat the remaining 2/3 of cream in the cold metal bowl and when it begins to thicken, add the sugar and white chocolate mixture. Whip until thick waves form and the whipped cream holds its shape. Be careful not to over beat as it may result in the chocolate separating from the cream.
- To make the white chocolate icing, melt the remaining 100 gr of white chocolate and stir in a bowl with the powdered sugar and the strawberry juice. If the icing is too thick at this stage, add more strawberry juice by the tablespoon.The mixture should be slowly dripping when lifted with the spoon. Pour the icing over the cake and smooth with a spatula if needed. Serve when the icing is hard and set.