I bought a Christmas cake stencil a few weeks ago and I had to try it right away on one of my favorite cakes. The strawberry Sacher torte I decorated is an adapted version I made of a raspberry chocolate cake and a classic Sacher torte. The cake is soft, moisture and light, and the raspberries give the cake a delicate taste that matches perfectly with the chocolate.
I had to replace the ground almonds usually added to a Sacher torte with just more flour has my sister as an intolerance to nuts but fortunately the cake turned out no different without it.
- 6 eggs
- 200 g sugar
- 150 g butter
- 150 g chocolate, 55% cocoa
- 185 g Gluten free flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda (optional for a lighter, less dense cake)
- 1 pinch of sea salt
- About 1 cup defrosted raspberries
- 4 Tablespoons raspberry jam
- 200 g de chocolate, 55% cocoa, chopped
- 200 ml heavy cream
- 50 g butter
- Preheat oven to 350º F (180 ºC). Prepare a 20 cm cake pan (8 inches) and grease it well.
- Melt chocolate and butter, and set aside. Beat sugar an eggs for about 5 minutes, until pale and fluffly. Add cooled chocolate cream, and beat again. Fold in the flour and salt. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and level the surface.
- Bake in the oven for about 45-50 minutes, or until well risen at the top and the cake springs back when lightly pressed with a finger. Leave to cool in the tin for a few minutes then invert the cake onto the rack. Cool completely. Using a long serrated knife, cut the cake horizontally into two equal layers.
- Heat the raspberries with the raspberry jam and spred evenly over one half of the cake. Place the second cake layer on top
- Make the chocolate glaze by chopping the chocolate into pieces. Heat the cream until hot, remove from the heat and add the chocolate. Stir until the chocolate has melted, then add butter, and stir again. Then pour the glaze over the cake, allowing it to run down the sides, being sure that the glaze completely coats the cake. Cool until the glaze is set, and refrigerate until ready to serve. Remove the cake from the refrigerator about 1 hour before serving.